Want to get organized without breaking the bank on expensive products? There are a lot of ways you can make organizing easy and fun without spending a lot of money. Here are three organizing tips to help you stay within your budget and create order and organization with items you have in your own space.
1. Decide Where to Start – Have a Clear & Specific Goal
It doesn’t cost a dime to dream. So get your imagination ready and starting thinking about or writing down or sketching what you want the space to look like, feel like and function as when you finish. This is always the first step. Being clear on your goals.
2. Roll Up Your Sleeve & Get Started Organizing
Do the work yourself or hire a friend to help. Or swap services and support. This saves you money. Ready to roll up your sleeves and get started but not sure how? Anyone who knows me knows that the SPACE process is the way I help Clients move through their decisions – try it yourself:
- Sorting items into categories
- Purge items you don’t want or that don’t belong
- Assign a location based on frequency of use
- Contain with a product or items which keep like items together
- Engage and evaluate; try it on and try it out.
3. Containment doesn’t have to cost a lot of money
Once you’ve gone through the sort and purge stages, and have assigned items to the places they are most frequently used, now it’s time to keep items together with containment. While there are a ton of great products out there to purchase, you can also use and re-use items from your home.
- Tupperware bottoms (those missing their lids)
- Shipping boxes cut in half
- Unmatched sets of baskets or containers on hand
- Repurposed kids toy bins
- File folder holders
- Shoe boxes
- Dollar store bins
- Egg cartons
- Zip lock bags
Get as creative as you want with things you already have in the house or shop at dollar store, a discount retailer, at the clearance sale at a fancy container store – or do a swap with your friends (I bet they have containers they aren’t using and you can offer up something you decide you no longer needed during the Purge step. Kill two birds with one stone – and get organized on a budget.)
Now that you are organized, sit back and enjoy! Looking for more tips or want some more help on your project. We are always available to help. Whether it’s personal space or office space, getting stuff dealt with or working on your productivity, we are your one-stop organizing solution.